Subject: Re: little things that bother me
To: Michael Bramley <brams@mac.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/04/2005 15:28:42
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:57:30 +0200, Michael Bramley <brams@mac.com> wrote:
> Your running 2.0 on a Qube II?
>
> I'd love love an idea how to do that having borked the 1.61 I had up and
> running on mine not to mention I could use the pthread support of NetBSD 2,
> I want to run a Zanka Wired server on mine which would not ./configure on
> netBSD 1.61, complaining of pthread h.

The easiest way is to get another machine that runs NetBSD, and put
the disk from the Qube into the other NetBSD machine. Partition the
disk, and unpack all the filesets.

You'll want to follow a lot of what is in the afterboot(8) man page,
but some more things to do would be:

Enable telnet or ssh, and allow root to log in (so you can get in to
set up another user)
Ensure you get the ifconfig.tlpX file set up properly.
Get the default route into the rc.conf file
Be sure to get the bootloader onto the Linux partition. It's been
sneakily renamed vmlinux.gz. Be sure that the Linux partition was
formatted correctly too, there is disucssion of this in the FAQ.

Then put the disk back into the Qube and hope for the best. Using the
serial console is a very big help.

I think I was able to cross build a 2.0 kernel on another box, then
put it in place on the Qube and reboot it. I then brought it down to
single user mode and unpacked all the 2.0 sets, then rebooted. I think
I messed up once and had to fix the disk from another machine, and I
think I did pull it off once.

Knowledge of how to install NetBSD onto a disk from another NetBSD
machine is good. You should do this, it makes jobs like this MUCH
easier.

I'm not sure if those directions are very good. I tend to tinker
endlessly and I learn a whole bunch of stuff that I can't just write
down because everything you learn comes from something else you
learned and I don't know where to start talking about it.

Andy