Subject: little things that bother me
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Justin Newcomer <liquidice5@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/02/2005 14:52:37
hi
I am the proud owner of a cobalt Qube, and have been for some time,
and for the most part i am extremely happy with it as my little server
in the living room.  There are, however, a couple of things that i
cannot figure out

I have netbsd 1.6.1 installed from the restore CD

When i am ssh'd into the qube, and i am trying to edit a file in vi or
vim, when i go into insert mode, for some reason it inserts a capital
A when i press the up arrow, B for down, C for right, and D for left.
each character is inserted into a new line, and it can get quite
annoying having to insert before the last character in a line, type it
again, type what i need, then escape out of insert mode and delete the
extra character

I know its confusing to explain, but i have no idea why it does this,
and if anyone could even offer some sort of insight into what to
investigate next, i would greatly appreciate it.
btw, most of the time i ssh in with putty, but it even does it if i
directly connect to the qube with a console cable.

one more question about netbsd on the qube. I want to be able to use
"fortune" but for some reason i cannot get it to work what-so-ever.. i
am not sure if it even came with the netbsd restore cd.. whenever i
type "fortune" i get this error "-bash: /usr/games/fortune: cannot
execute binary file"
since fortune is normally a program that comes with a complete system
(to my understanding) is there anyway i can reinstall it, or
completely remove it and start over?

any advice on either question would be greatly appreciated

-justin