Subject: Re: Does NetBSD 2.0 work with the Raq2?
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/07/2005 16:27:23
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:18:44 -0800 (PST), John Klos <john@ziaspace.com> wrote:
> (I decided to cc: the author of CoLo, to see if there's any interest in us
> poor no-two-stage-bootloader NetBSD users)
>

> > I guess 2.0's (GENERIC) kernel is too big (> 1000000 Bytes). I've
> > (cross) compiled a reduced (nfs) kernel for this purposes...
>
> Ok. I can boot a kernel than compresses to less than 1000000 bytes. But,
> while I can leave SCSI in and take IP Filter out and have it boot, I can't
> boot with IP Filter in even without SCSI and ddb... Strange...

Funny you mention that. I'm seeing what may be similar behavior when
building kernels for my hpcmips machine. Some stuff that should have
no bearing on the machine will cause the kernel to not boot. Don't
know why.

> I suppose port-cobalt is an excellent candidate for a two-stage
> bootloader. I looked around, and there is one:

Maybe I'm missing something, but you probably don't need this. The
1.6.1 CD I believe already loads the NetBSD bootloader, it's just
called vmlinux.gz or whatever they call it now. Check it out, I think
it's only a few K when gzipped. Should be in the Linux /boot
partition. This one can then access the NetBSD root disk and boot
whatever kernel you want. Booting problem solved.

You probably should just follow the directions on how to prepare the
disk (from before the time the boot CD existed) and try that.

Andy