Subject: Re: "Starting up..." but going nowhere with 1.6.2 on RAQ2
To: None <krjordan@348north.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/06/2005 08:08:15
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:53:51 -500, Kevin Jordan <krjordan@348north.com> wrote:
> Andy -- what is the cheapest way to get serial access to the RAQ2?  I have an iBook and a Tungsten C; which would offer the best/easiest/cheapest way with the proper connection?
>
> What is the route to updating to 1.6.2 from this fresh install?  What would it benefit?

I believe the RAQ2 has a 9 pin serial port right?

You need a null modem serial cable. These can be had for a few dollars
at a good computer store. You need a serial port on the machine you
will use to control the RAQ from, obviously. Then you need some
software. I'm not sure what OS you are running, but there are many
programs that can do this, the most common of which (if you use
Windows) is Hyperterm. I use minicom under NetBSD or any other unix.

If you get a functioning serial port, then you don't have to worry
about the boot CD after you get an initial system installed. With the
serial console, you can get into single user mode and safely upgrade
your OS by unpacking the new sets and setting everything up. That's
another subject for another place.

Andy