Subject: Re: eap device in 2.0 kernel for Cube2
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel C. Sinclair <daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/28/2004 18:24:50
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:54:07 -0500, Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net> wrote:

> I haven't tried any sound cards myself but I recall having read (on the
> -cobalt list, I think) in the past that there are PCI bus issues with
> Cobalt hardware and NetBSD 2.0 that often make some PCI cards
> problematic.  You might have to look into -current.
>
> If you search the archives for this list and maybe for netbsd-help for
> 'PCI'  related material should pop up.

The error message that I posted:

Decompressing - done.
invalid bootinfo (standalone boot?)
[ Kernel symbol table missing! ]

suggests to me that the kernel is rejected by the firmware before it
is ever executed.  So I don't think I'm affected by any PCI bus
problems in this case.

After a few hours of trial and error, I discovered that a kernel with
'eap' but without NFS is netbootable.  The dmesg shows that my
soundcard is detected and configured.  A kernel with NFS and no 'eap'
driver also boots fine.  Combine the two options and I get the above
error message?!?  I haven't had a chance to actually test that the
soundcard driver works - I'll do that tonight.

There were a few other combinations of options that also caused this
symbol table failure.  I'm not experienced enough with NetBSD (this is
my first use) to know how to fix something like that but I will keep
trying different things and post my findings.

> If I'm mistaken (which is possible, or I could be correct and it not
> apply to sound cards :) I'm sure someone will post.

Well, no one else posted, but thanks for the suggestions.

Daniel