Subject: Netbooting NetBSD-GENERIC 2.0 kernel on Cube2
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel C. Sinclair <daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/23/2004 01:57:45
Hi everyone.

I have been trying to netboot the NetBSD 2.0 GENERIC kernel and have
had no success.

If I compress it with 'gzip --best' the Cube2 prints this:

Decompressing -invalid compressed forma

The 'forma' isn't a typo. Compressed with 'gzip -2' is better but
still not working:

Decompressing -/

It freezes up then, but at least it doesn't think the kernel is invalid.

I read in the Cobalt FAQ that the kernel must be gzipped and no larger
than 1000000 bytes (approx.).  The generic kernel is larger than that
so I'm guessing that's the problem.  What I'm wondering is why the
Cobalt generic kernel, which should be bootable on any machine for
installs and emergencies, can't be netbooted at all.  It works fine
once installed on the Cube's harddrive but only if the /usr/mdec/boot
boot-loader is used.

Having to build a custom kernel so that I can install seems backwards.

Daniel