Subject: editing lcd on cobalt qube
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Reed <elvencraft@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/16/2004 03:39:34
Greetings Port-Qube

I am relitively new to this group but I saw a user requesting
information on the screen on the back and I recently sent out an email
that was a little off, so here is the correct information  as I just
want to add my contribution and it be correct :)

As we all know the cobalt qube 2 has a 2x16 character LCD display, and
most people aren't aware that this can't display whatever you want. To
edit this to your liking, do the following.

Edit the banner.sh:

vi /etc/paneld/banner.sh

(if you prefer a different text editor...by all means use it)

Inside of banner.sh you will see the following lines

echo "$HOST"
echo "[$ADDR]"

All you have to do is edit between the "'s as such

echo " This is My Qube! "
echo "   Do Not Touch!  "

save the file with :wq! and exit back to the prompt

Finally to commit the newfound message to your lcd screen, you can do
1 of 2 things

#1 - Reboot
#2 - Hold down select on the back of your qube to enter the menu on
the lcd, and then exit the menu, the new changes should pop up without
effecting your downtime.

Hope you find this as useful as I have. I learned about this from the
great guys over at rushmere, their website is http://www.rushmere.net
, they have a very nice page regarding the cobalt and its setup.

I should have my web server up and running within a day or so and I am
going to develop a community for self proclaimed cobalt lovers over
all platforms of cobalt to offer a community that is both informative
and as resourceful as I can make it with forums and in depth
documentation and tutorials.  If anyone would like to help contribute
and write guides etc lhit me up with an email, I'd like to know how
much of an interest there would be to see an indepth coverage of the
qube on a community website.  Most of the sites I see just talk about
a single project and assume that you know most everything about unix
but I would like to offer a more simplistic approach for those of us
who aren't unix masters and seek help and advice.  Hope to hear from
you all.

Matt
elvencraft@gmail.com