Subject: Re: Webmin on Qube2/NetBSD 1.6
To: John Cobb <johnc@nobytes.com>
From: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/16/2004 10:14:01
John Cobb wrote:

> <>Just to let you guys know, I installed using the pkg_add procedure
> and everything is now running fine, so thanks for that :)

Good! We like to read success stories!!!

> 2 Other quick questions which are off topic;
>
> 1) I want to give my qube a fixed ip address, reading through the
> documentation it isn’t clear (to me) which files I need to edit to do
> so, has anybody got an example of what it should look like, and the
> file I should be editing?

I wouldn't say this is O/T - it's somewhat NetBSD specific in fact
(IMHO) but anyway off we go:
a) edit etc/rc.conf
delete the line referencing dhclient (if it still exists)
delete the line referencing nfs_ client (if it still exists)
Add: (exactly as shown)
inetd=YES
Small but important sidestep - if you haven't already done this, (while
you're in this file already)
Get rid of any ability to login via telnet of rlogin...first step:
make sure the following exists, and if it doesn't then add it:
sshd=YES

edit /etc/inetd.conf and comment out lines beginning with
login
telnet

restart inetd
/etc/rc.d/inetd reload
Fire up putty and login via ssh using your NON ROOT username and password)

NOW let's setup domain and IP stuff (assuming you haven't done any/all
of this yet)
Make sure you *have* a domain registered and setup on a DNS server
somewhere first!!!!!

Add your default domain (we'll call it whatever.com):
echo whatever.com > /etc/defaultdomain
that's echo [space] > [space] /etc/defaultdomain

Set your machine hostname (substitute your chosen hostname for qube) and
use whatever IP you have chosen which is consistent with your LAN IP
range in place of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx below. (let's say for now you decide
that no other device is using 10.0.0.100 to get you started)

echo xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx qube qube.whatever.com > /etc/host

Now take a look at dmesg. Look for tlp0 assuming you have a network
cable plugged into the "Primary" RJ45 on the back of the Qube

root@kenmore# dmesg | grep tlp0
tlp0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0: DECchip 21143 Ethernet, pass 4.1
tlp0: interrupting at level 1
tlp0: Ethernet address 00:10:e0:00:7c:72
lxtphy0 at tlp0 phy 1: LXT970 10/100 media interface, rev. 3

set up your network:
(The example assumes once again that you're using tlp0)
echo inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx > /etc/ifconfig.tlp0
Whatever gateway you're using on your LAN use it again here:
echo xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx > /etc/mygate
Once more with the machine name:
echo qube.whatever.com > /etc/myname

edit /etc/resolv.conf
The first two lines are mandatory
search whatever.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1

#now add some more nameservers (use whatever you use on your desktop)
#add as many as you like theoretically
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

reload inetd as shown above.
from your windoze box, fire up cmd, and ping the ip you gave to your qube
if the above was successful you'll get a return ping.
also - and this is what I've done on several occasions as I was setting
up the box and (on the many occasions this was initially necessary)
reinstalling the OS, reboot the box.

> 2) I remember reading somewhere about a ‘lcd’ daemon with the ability
> to change the on the lcd panel, does anybody know where I can get this
> from?

Off the top of my head I don't know where the paneld config file
is....someone else will have to give you that part. I know there *is* a
way to hack what it says but I didn't bother doing that with mine. I was
very happy just to see it display its default message.
So, if you want the lcd to function as it originally existed - and with
its default readout (UN hacked) you need to make sure this line exists
in /etc/rc.conf
paneld=YES
reload inetd as shown above and take a look at the lcd...it *SHOULD* read:
qube.whatever.com
10.0.0.100

Regards & HTH,
-Colin