Subject: Re: hard drive upgrade?
To: Joe Music <wrapmeister@yahoo.com>
From: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/09/2004 14:23:23
Joe Music wrote:

>Sorry for yet another newbie question...

Hehe...I'd say that's perfectly OK. Believe me, I posted my share of
newbie questions in the recent past. Well intentioned serious Qube'ers
seem to receive a warm and helpful reception here...a fact I'm relieved
and happy to be able to state. Were it not so, my own Qube project might
not have fared as well as it did.

>If I were to put in a larger drive into my Qube, would
>I still need the original restore CD to partition the
>drive, or will the 1.6.1 netboot disc allow me to
>partition the disk through NetBSD?

Under the circumstances you describe you would need the NetBSD-1.6.1
restore CD. Were you to use the 'original restore CD' (and from this I
assume you mean the Cobalt Restore CD) you would wind up with a Cobalt
OS installed on your Qube. (This I assume you don't want :) thus...the
NetBSD-1.6.1 netboot (rescue/restore/rebirth) CD is for you...it's your
friend. :-)

I did the exact same exercise this past weekend, it's about as simple as
it can possibly be. Fun too :)

As to partitioning...the disc installation routine does all the disc
partitioning for you, yet I do not know if you could overrride that
manually and do it yourself (I'm *guessing* you could from the console
over a serial connection).
In any event, once you boot the restore CD and start the installation,
it's exactly the same procedure as with the smaller disc, but expect it
to take longer...depending upon how big the new disc is...and also (as I
discovered) if there's anything on the disc to start with that the
installer has to blast away first. Other than that it's plain sailing as
far as this correspondent could observe.

Good luck to you, and do please keep us informed as to how you're doing
with the project!

Regards & HTH,
-Colin