Subject: Re: Binding more than one IP to a NIC
To: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
From: Justin Newcomer <liquidice5@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/06/2004 15:11:59
i know you can rtfm manual and all that stuff, but some simple points
just to get your questions answered

1. you cannot set any computer to the 192.168.1.0 as it is the network
address, as in the base address for 192.168.1.1-254 (if ur using a
255.255.255.0 subnet mask)  along those lines, you cannot use .255 as
an address as it is the broadcast address for that network.

2. I dont know anything about binding multiple ip's to the same nic,
but for your purposes, you dont need to.  the reason that you have 2
options in windows for dns is incase the first one is down/not
responding, but you dont have to set both.

3. as for reinitializing the network interfaces, its as simple as
"ifconfig tlp0 down" "ifconfig tlp0 up"  or whatever interface your
using. that will take the port down, and bring it back up, while
reading from its config file.

4. As far as nat'ing (Network Address Translation) which you will
eventually use to reroute the packets from the qube's internal
addressing scheme to the more external one, the manual is a good place
to start, because I havent done that in a while, and even then it was
on cisco 2900 series routers, not in a *nix box.

Good luck
-justin