Subject: Binding more than one IP to a NIC
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/06/2004 15:45:46
Hi all!
This is more of a pure NetBSD question than a Cobalt specific question
but I'm subscribed here and have absolutely *no* other exposure to
NetBSD other than on the Qube2.
Here's my question....
The whole house is on a 10.0.0.x LAN, but in my office sits the qube
with 2 NICS one PC and a laptop. I want to make the secondary NIC and
the 2 other machines operate on the 192.168.0.x range. The Qube is going
to serve mail, act as a caching DNS machine grab stuff via ftp and wget
(but not serve ftp) and host a webpage or two...and that's it.
How do I bind an additional IP's to the secondary NIC? For example I
want it to have 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.1...is it as simple as making
an extra entry in /etc/ifconfig.tlp1? and if so, how to I initialize the
NIC once the changes have been made? rebooting the box doesn't seem a
Unix-like thing to do somehow, so I'm wondering how to accomplish this.
As a followup, how do I pass packets from the internal side
(192.168.x.x) to the outbound side (and towards the router) on the
10.0.0.x LAN - and back, thus making the Qube2 an office gateway...BTW
the DSL router is 10.0.0.138 of course
The reason I want to bind 2 IP's to the secondary NIC is because of the
Windows requirement of entering 2 DNS IP's...and does it matter that one
of the two IP's is also known as a gateway IP?
I hope the question is sufficiently clear, and that someone has the time
to mess with an answer. Thanks all.
Regards & TIA,
-Colin