Subject: Re: 2.0_RC4 and -current instability, data corruption and system hang ups
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/05/2004 09:45:56
* Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl> [2004-11-05 09:11:45]:
> Matt Dainty wrote:
>
> >><>
> >>Possibly. I've actually got two Qube2's, the other one I've put Gentoo
> >>on. I know it's not really a direct comparison, but with Linux on it, it
> >>stays up for much longer, and I'm fairly sure I get measurably faster
> >>NFS performance out of it too.
> >
> I wasn't aware that there was  a Gentoo "port" onto the Qube2...how did
> you install that distro?? Is there a Qube2/NetBSD type restore disc or
> is there some other wizardry that must be used?

IIRC it was a netboot effort.

I just waded through here:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~kumba/mips/

I guess it's helpful to be familiar with the Gentoo install process.

Didn't seem to be official at the time but it Works For Me for my value
of Works, which is basically booting a kernel and running some NFS
daemons.

I'd really like to get it back to 100% NetBSD though but it seems to be
really hard to get any kind of hard data on this problem.

Matt
--
"Everything has to be somewhere and nothing can ever be anywhere other
than where it is."