Subject: Re: Netboot help
To: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/01/2004 06:34:23
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:21:09 +0100, Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl> wrote:
> I'm VERY happy to report that NetBSD 1.6.1 is now installed on my Qube2.
> Andy was dead-on with his analysis, instead of changing machines I
> changed CDROM and voila! (somewhat) later the install was complete
> It took 8 tries to figure out what I was doing wrong at various points,
> but it was worthwhile in that there is an OS installed on the Qube now :-)
> So...kudos and thanks to Andy :) :) :)

Hmm, no problem. Anytime you get an error on a CD-ROM, it's a read
error so not much analysis was necessary.

> and then it stops with an error code 1

I *think* this means that you are trying to run a binary that isn't
compatible with your kernel. Probably this binary was done for 1.6.2
and you're running 1.6.1.

You could very likely grab the generic kernel from 1.6.2 from here:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.2/cobalt/binary/sets/

Then install it in place of your current /netbsd file (be sure to copy
the old one to some known name, like /netbsd.old), and reboot.

It's OK to use a newer kernel with older binaries, but not the other way around.

If you have a serial console, it would be very easy to just unpack the
other sets in that directory too. Basically (don't trust me verbatim
on this), just go into single user, copy off /etc, then unpack all of
those sets with tar xvzpf <file>. There's a few other steps I'm sure
I'm missing here...

1.6.1 is pretty old now. Someone made a restore CD with a newer level
too, but I don't know who or where it is... It would be worth making a
new one for 2.0 when that is ready.

Andy