Subject: Re: Netboot help
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/01/2004 14:21:09
Andy Ruhl wrote:

>>>Whether the CD was burned properly or not, you got an error reading
>>>it. Did you try a different machine?
>>>

>>Thanks for the response Andy. The answer is no I didn't, and that's only because I don't have another machine to try it on. (-:
>>
>>I could try re-burning the CD I guess.  Looking at the error messages,
>>should I have labeled the CD in some pre-understood manner perhaps?
>>What is the '02' output in the middle of the data error? (or is that
>>just not important at this point?)
>>

>Don't know, I'm sure there's some reference for what that means on an
>ide cdrom somewhere... I don't know where it is though.
>
>If the CD is correct, then it may be that your drive doesn't like this
>CD. Maybe try a different type of blank, or just try to boot it on
>someone else's machine to see if it works. I think it just has some
>text about what it wants to do. It's been a while since I've done
>that.

I'm VERY happy to report that NetBSD 1.6.1 is now installed on my Qube2.
Andy was dead-on with his analysis, instead of changing machines I
changed CDROM and voila! (somewhat) later the install was complete
It took 8 tries to figure out what I was doing wrong at various points,
but it was worthwhile in that there is an OS installed on the Qube now :-)
So...kudos and thanks to Andy :) :) :)

I've run into what seems like a catch22 with pkgs though. I'm trying to
install pkgtools - and it just will *not* install
I try to install pkgtools in accordance with the manual.

cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
make, make install etc.

the error message is:

===> *** No /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/pkg-vulnerabilities file found,
===> *** skipping vulnerability checks. To fix, install
===> *** the pkgsrc/security/audit-packages package and run
===> *** '/usr/pkg/sbin/download-vulnerability-list'.
===> *** No /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/pkg-vulnerabilities file found,
===> *** skipping vulnerability checks. To fix, install
===> *** the pkgsrc/security/audit-packages package and run
===> *** '/usr/pkg/sbin/download-vulnerability-list'.
===> Installing for pkg_install-20040813

and then it stops with an error code 1

So, in summary then:

I can't install audit-packages because pkgtools are necessary for this.
There is no /usr/pkg directory
thus, no matter which direction I go in, pkgtools won't install.

Suggestions anyone?? they sure would be welcome.

Regards & TIA,
-Colin