Subject: Netboot help
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Colin Raven <duiker@haggis.nl>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/31/2004 14:53:20
Hi all!
Forgive me, this is long but I thought I'd explain fully whats going on
in the hope that someone can help me.
I grabbed 'image.iso' from NetBsd.org for my Qube2 and burned the iso to
CD. Ok so far.
Then I booted an i386 machine using the CD.
It (the 386 machine) booted, but I don't *think* it booted all the way,
but I don't know what is supposed to happen, nor what output to expect
when it's fully booted and ready to netboot the Qube.
Suffice to say when I netbooted the qube, the 'netboot' message remained
on the LCD for several hours and I didn't see any traffic over the
network connection. I therefore suspect no activity took place, and came
to this conclusion because of the weird output (or lack of it) from the
386 boot process. Here's the last few lines of output from the 386 boot
process:

[quote]

wd0: no disc label
wd1: no disc label
wd2: no disc label
wd3: no disc label

boot device <unknown>
root on cd0 dumps on cd0b
cd0 no disc label
warning no /dev/console
cd0 (pciide1:1:1: medium error, data=00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00)
-
[/quote]

The last line is a blinking prompt at which point no further activity
took place.
I hit enter a few times on the 4th or 5th try but didn't record the
output....but that's another issue not addressed here.
The output error=data is truly puzzling since the iso burned properly to
CD. I later mounted the iso with DaemonTools and compared it directory
by directory with what was on the CD and both were identical.
Can anyone help me resolve this?...and what to output to expect if the
boot process is successful...meaning that I can commence the Qube netboot.

Thanks for your collective patience. I'd like to contribute to the list
once this is done and I have learned enough to be of help to others who
later come looking for guidance.

Regards & TIA,
-Colin