Subject: Re: Back into the Fray
To: <>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/20/2004 19:03:45
--------------enigC73F1CA3E6069EDD402400C5

Andy,

>> Now I can't get the serial console to do anything.
>
> Hmm. That shouldn't have happened. My console is fine. Does the
> problem persist?

Yeah. I'll be rebooting it very soon (which will be the first reboot
since the ddb.console=0 trick) so I'll see if the kernel just has a hook
into the console for the time being or something. I can't even get the
console to lock like it used to. Oh, well.

>> Am I better off compiling source packages myself, or using the
>> package manager?
>
> Mostly you don't have a choice, you have to use pkgsrc to get
> anything reasonably current.

Yeah, that's what I've found. Is it better to use pkgsrc (how do I use
that?), or is it better to simply download the raw source packages from
the appropriate source sites (like Apache, MySQL, etc.) and do
everything myself. I'm completely confortable with this strategy. The
only problem is that the qube is reeeeaaaaallllllyyy sssslllloooooowwww
at compiling just about anything.

> As for 2.0, I've been running various stages of 2.0-release kernel
> and userland.

Stupid question: what is "userland"?

Oh, and I know that there are packages available via pkg_add which could
replace some of the "standard" packages already installed by the 1.6.x
recovery disk (like ssh, for example). Got any tips for upgrading the
these non-packaged packages? A fresh re-build looks like it's got zero
"packages" installed.

> I think I'm on 2.0-RC4 now with no problems. I try to build the
> userland once in a while, but it takes about 2 or 3 days or something
> on the qube itself.

Ha ha ha. Yeah, about 6 months ago when I was still toying with my Qube,
I wised up and started cross-compiling the kernel on an Athlon 1700 with
a gig of RAM. *Much* faster.

> Drop down to single user, install the new kernel, reboot, drop into
> single user again, then install userland. No biggie.

That's pretty much what I have been doing, except that I haven't been
dropping down to single-user mode. There's no access to the Qube right
now from outside my firewall, and no services running on it anyway, so
it really doesn't matter (does it?).

What do you think about NetBSD 2.0? Should I give it a shot? Is there
any danger to installing a new kernel with all the old libraries (like
libc, etc.)? I really don't know what I'm doing with NetBSD. I've got a
ton of Linux experience but I'm still not comfortable doing things in
NetBSD.

Thanks for your continuing help.
-chris