Subject: dealing with dependencies
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/18/2004 22:15:22
I'm trying to get postgreSQL compiled;  I've had some dependencies crop
up and I'm wondering what the results would be of updating problematic
components.

At this time, making postgreSQL stops with:

(during install of pth-2.0.0nb2)
===> pth-2.0.0 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
*** If so, you may use either of:
***  - "pkg_delete pth-2.0.0" and "/usr/bin/make reinstall" to upgrade
properly
***  - "/usr/bin/make update" to rebuild the package and all of its
dependencies
***  - "/usr/bin/make replace" to replace only the package without
re-linking
***    dependencies, risking various problems.
*** Error code 1

Deleting the pth-2.0.0 pkg gives:
pkg_delete: package `pth-2.0.0' is required by other packages:
         icecast-2.0.0
         ipcheck-0.207
         python21-pth-2.1.3nb3
         libshout-2.0
         vorbis-tools-1.0.1

I assume that updating pth will break old items, or maybe they'd be OK
(depending on the item).  With only google or empirical testing to
determine the result.  Or are the libraries linked and incorporated at
build time and thus all the executables are standalone at that point?
I had some libraries mentioned that nothing else used; so I went and
updated those as requested.

What will pkgsrc DO with the items that depend on the 2.0.0 when/if I
build the 2.0.0nb2 one?  Can I trust it to not wreak havoc (by deleting
or rebuilding lots of stuff)?  I assume that I could make a backup copy
of /usr/pkg/include and similar directories to keep original items safe
in case of issues.

As long as it isn't touching SSL/SSHd items I don't really care; the
rest of the items mentioned are mostly for fun.  Although I am
streaming some MP3 files for use in a biology lab, so while I don't
wish to take down icecast for very long, they are mostly done with that
lab so it could come down for a bit.

Thanks for info on this process.  From what I've read, my inclination
is to expect potential havoc :) and it would be wise to plan some time
spend rebuilding other apps.  I hope that's wrong, though.

Brian

--
... we parted each feeling
superior to the other and is not that