Subject: Re: trouble with 1.6.1 for Qube install
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/08/2004 17:27:38
=A0
<Additional question list list maintainers:  I replied to a couple of=20
posts lately from my comcast webmail, which stupidly adds a MIME header=20=

of multipart/alternative to even normal emails; they don't appear here.=20=

  Are they getting blocked? (I assume so).  Comcast says I'm the only=20
one who gripes about their stupid header assigns (even tho it breaks=20
their own webmail- you can't view sent messages properly...  anyway...)>

I'll add: You might have to pull your current cards and just have the=20
supported card in (and turn off the one on the mainboard in the BIOS).

my first reply was :
-----------------------
I don't want to download and unpack the big .gz here at work to get to=20=

the readme, but I recall the supported cards for netboot were 1) few 2)=20=

documented on the CD.
=A0
Unless you build your own boot CD with different card drivers included,=20=

I think you're going to have to find an old, supported card.=A0 IIRC=20
suitable older 3COM models should do and be maybe $10-15 used.  =A0
I googled a little to see if I could get a list, but without opening up=20=

the .gz I just can't find the documentation.=A0 But if you read the =
stuff=20
that scrolls (quickly) when you boot the PC from the CD, it tells you=20
what will work (and it means it!! :) and you can always find that file=20=

on the CD itself.
=A0
HTH.
=A0
Brian

On Friday, October 8, 2004, at 10:31 AM, Steve Johansson wrote:

 > I am a Unix newbie so I looked forward to an install as simple as the
 > original Cobalt OS restore.
 >
 > The disk image booted my PC but it did not activate the network card=20=

so I
 > couldn't netboot my Qube 2.

--=20
... we parted each feeling
superior to the other and is not that
feeling after all one of the great
desiderata of social intercourse
-archy
_The Life and Times of Archy and Mehitabel_