Subject: Re: Buit in scsi?
To: NetBSD/cobalt <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/30/2004 23:29:19
On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 22:49, Kevin Lahey wrote:
> In message <1093901427.15368.30.camel@lister.bodgit-n-scarper.com>Matt Dainty w
> rites
> >On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 21:56, Tom wrote:
> >> Hi Andy,
> >> I've got a RaQ2+ (with two tlp-devices) and the built in SCSI (Symbios)
> >> works fine (tested with 1.6.1). The Qube 2 with an additional Adaptec
> >> card (with no SCSI-BIOS) was running fine (I think it was the AHA2910).
> >> Other cards should work also - but I haven't tested that. An Adaptec
> >> AHA2940U (with SCSI-BIOS) didn't work for me - but may be this was a
> >> faulty card.
> >
> >My Qube 2 has a 2940U (BIOS-less), and it functions fine, however I get
> >a stream of kernel messages.
>
> The OP should probably keep in mind some of the earlier posts this
> month about the performance of our beloved Cobalt boxes.  I love
> my Qube2 -- it's a great web and mail server, and I just bought a
> second Raq2 for a song on E-Bay.  However, I wouldn't confuse either
> of 'em with a high-powered server.
>
> I typically see less than 1MB/sec on network transfers, so I suspect
> that you might have some troubles keeping a tape drive streaming
> with a Raq2.

I haven't tried doing any kind of measurement, but the drive, if memory
serves, is usable (My drive being a 40/80 DLT). I haven't used it for a
while, although I suspect the kernel messages filling up syslog probably
slow the box down a little.

I actually have two Qube 2's, one with NetBSD, the other loaded with
Linux (Gentoo). I've so far found Linux to be more stable on the Qube
hardware and IIRC the network performance is improved although I don't
currently have figures. I use the Qube entirely as NFS storage and I can
get NetBSD to hang consistently trying to get files of approximately
500MB-1GB in size on and off the NFS mounts, it'll take about 4GB max
before locking hard, anything after that is a bonus :-/

Matt