Subject: Re: Cobalt newbie questions
To: James Hartley <jjhartley@att.net>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/27/2004 21:34:04
--============_-1118465649==_ma============

>I'm recently picked up a Qube 2 with 16MB RAM & a 20GB Maxtor hard
>drive on eBay.  I've spent some time on Google poking about to find
>these answers to no avail.  Any information anyone cares to share
>would be appreciated.

Greetings!  Does it have NetBSD or the CobaltOS on it?  With 16 megs,
you might have to do a workaround to get the network CD to install
and boot, there was an issue with the 1.6.1 CD (might be fixed by
now).  Details are on the list archive from early 2004.

>0.	The user's manual states that I can upgrade this appliance to
>128MB or 256MB DRAM.  Does anyone have specifics as to what kind of
>memory will fit?  Suppliers?

 From the QubeQuorner FAQ: (vanished from the web now):

>15. I'm having trouble finding memory for the Qube2.
>The original Qube and RAQ used 5V EDO RAM. That is relatively easy
>to find. But the Qube2 and >RAQ2 use 3.3V RAM, which from personal
>experience is difficult to find. But you can get it
>from >http://www.kamel-peripherals.com/. They're in the US.
>
>Another source for memory is RAMJet, and the correct Transcend part
>number is TS16MED32V60, >which is a 64MB SIMM for the Qube2. Neither
>their standard 64MB SIMM nor their 128MB SIMM will >work in the
>Qube2.
>
>The Qube, and RaQ, will automatically recognise the new memory. You
>don't need to modify any LILO >or other system files. Just plug it
>in and you're off. (Assuming you've installed the correct type
>of >memory.)

I suggest RamJet, $58 for 128megs, in stock.  You might want to pull
that 16 meg card once you put in the 128, I've read there are
sometimes issues when trying to use both.

HTH.

Brian

--
--============_-1118465649==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
a Qube 2 with 16MB RAM &amp; a 20GB Maxtor hard drive on eBay.&nbsp;
I've spent some time on Google poking about to find these answers to
no avail.&nbsp; Any information anyone cares to share would be
appreciated.</font></blockquote>
With 16 megs, you might have to do a workaround to get the network CD
to install and boot, there was an issue with the 1.6.1 CD (might be
fixed by now).&nbsp; Details are on the list archive from early
2004.</div>
</x-tab><font size="-1">The user's manual states that I can upgrade
this appliance to 128MB or 256MB DRAM.&nbsp; Does anyone have
specifics as to what kind of memory will fit?&nbsp;
Suppliers?</font></blockquote>
easy to find. But the Qube2 and &gt;RAQ2 use 3.3V RAM, which from
personal experience is difficult to find. But you can get it from
&gt;http://www.kamel-peripherals.com/. They're in the US.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Another source for memory is RAMJet, and the correct Transcend
part number is TS16MED32V60, &gt;which is a 64MB SIMM for the Qube2.
Neither their standard 64MB SIMM nor their 128MB SIMM will &gt;work in
the Qube2.<br>
&gt;</div>
memory. You don't need to modify any LILO &gt;or other system files.
Just plug it in and you're off. (Assuming you've installed the correct
type of &gt;memory.)</div>
to pull that 16 meg card once you put in the 128, I've read there are
sometimes issues when trying to use both.</div>
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>