Subject: Re: Booting problems and/or how to keep from having them
To: Peter Fröhlich <phf@cs.ucr.edu>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/23/2004 12:09:36
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 04:43:27 -0700, Peter Fr=F6hlich <phf@cs.ucr.edu> wrote=
:
> Hi all,
>=20
> Sorry, I am a bit late with this thread... :-/
>=20
> On Jul 27, 2004, at 10:34, Dale P. Smith wrote:
>=20
> > To get around these problems, the current netbsd "rescue" disk installs
> > a netbsd bootloader but renamed as vmlinux.gz so the linux firmware
> > can load/run it.  It does not have the size limitations that the
> > firmware loader has.  It (of course) knows about netbsd partions and
> > netbsd kernel names, so you don't need to fiddle around with copying a
> > new kernel to the linux partition anymore.
>=20
> Wait. So *why* do I have big netbsd.gz files lying around in the
> /boot/boot directory? Are you saying I could delete those and my Qube
> would still work, booting from /netbsd? While we're at it, is anyone
> sure which files *must* be in /boot? For example, can I kill the RAQ
> something files? Not that I need the space, just curious... :-)
>=20
> Peter

Yeah. Copy the bootloader into the linux /boot directory, and it looks
for the /netbsd file on the regular root disk. Just be sure to gzip it
and call it vmlinux.gz. All the rest of that stuff can go. You can get
the bootloader from the recover CD files on the FTP server. I think
it's around 30k gzipped.

But I still keep a kernel at /usr/games/.doug in the linux partition
just in case.... Can't hurt. If you screw up, you can just hold all 4
buttons and bail yourself out.

It would be nice to get a boot prompt from the bootloader, but I don't
really know much about the bootloader and why you don't get one. Oh
well.

Andy