Subject: Re: Cobalt: Network performance testing
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/28/2004 08:32:37
On Jul 27, 2004, at 9:21 PM, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> Has anyone done any network performance testing with the Qube2?
>
> I am uploading a bunch of stuff to it because I wanted to do some
> testing, and it's taking a while. I'm getting about 1 meg per second.
> This is coming from a source machine with an Intel 10/100 card and
> it's over a 10/100 hub. I can get over 3 times that going to another
> netbsd machine, with the same network card as the source machine,
> running 2.0F on i386, on the same network.
>
> But I haven't done any network tuning at all. Maybe I should look into
> that.
>
> I'm also going to take out the 200 gig disk I have it in now and put
> the 14 gig back in for grins and try again.

No, there is defintely something wrong with how PCI and interrupts are
set up on the cobalt port that dramatically reduce performance of both
the network and I/O subsystem compared to the original linux 2.2 kernel
the qube came with.  I just haven't had time to look into it.

My machine is stable, though.  It has been up for 115 days and was up
for over 200 before then.  It was rebooted (for what turned out to be
no good reason) or I would be approaching a year of uptime.  My machine
runs as a firewall and mail server, with some light file serving for my
home net, but the performance problems limit it in that regard.

Byron