Subject: Netbooting with the panel buttons
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/15/2004 10:34:47
I want to set up a server so that I can conveniently netboot this into
2.0 release by pressing the 2 outer buttons. I'm not 100% clear on
what the FAQ is saying here:

What can I do with the front panel buttons? (top)

       1. Hold the reset button ("pencil" button left of the keypad
area on the front) in while powering on to toggle on/off the firmware
console on the serial port. It runs at 115200 bps, 8N1. After changing
that setting, the machine needs another power-cycle to actually use
the new setting.

          Press the space bar while the diagnostics run to halt the
autoboot process.

          Type ? at the firmware prompt to get a list of commands.

       2. Holding in all four cursor buttons while powering on boots
the kernel /usr/games/.doug .

       3. Holding in the left and right cursor buttons in while
powering on executes the command bfd /boot/vmlinux.gz root=/dev/nfs
nfsroot=/nfsroot, resulting in a netboot. On RaQ 1's, the default
kernel name is vmlinux_RAQ.gz and on RaQ 2's, it is
vmlinux_raq-2800.gz.

In step 3:

is root=/dev/nfs telling the bootloader to use nfs? Or is this a
directory on the nfs server?

is nfsroot=/nfsroot actually what root directory it expects to find on
the nfs server?

So if I have this correct, I would want to put a kernel called
vmlinux.gz in /nfsroot/boot on the nfs server, and then this should
"just work" similar to how the disk is laid out by the remote CD
install, correct?

I plan to make a little writeup of how to set up an nfs server, from
beginning to end, with a different version of NetBSD so it can be
tried over netboot.

Andy