Subject: Re: What kernel am I using?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/14/2004 15:06:09
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:58:56 +0200 (CEST), Hubert Feyrer
<hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> > kernel, so I know that's the one I'm running. Why does the login
> > report 1.6.1 (GENERIC)?
>
> Because your /etc/motd still says 1.6.1, and  you may have update_motd=no
> in /etc/rc.conf or you never went to multiuser mode with that kernel.
>

> > Also, what actual files to I need in the linux /boot directory? I'm
> > seeing all kinds of .gz stuff, but I believe all I need is the
> > netbsd.gz file right?
>
> Looking at http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/cobalt/faq.html#boot, I'd say
> /boot/vmlinux.gz (or /boot/vmlinux_RAQ.gz or /boot/vmlinux_raq-2800.gz).
> (At least that's for what the firmware loads... I didn't follow
> netbsd/cobalt development, and if it got a 1st/2nd stage bootloader in the
> last 2-3 years, that information may be different :).
>
>  - Hubert

Ahh yes, I totally forgot that I set update_motd=NO, according to some
instructions somewhere. Oops.

But back to the point of what kernel is actually booting, I think it's
netbsd.gz. I had forgotten to make a vmlinux.gz file from this kernel,
and it still booted into my new kernel. Isn't it true that each one of
these machines wants to boot a different kernel file (according to the
firmware)? The FAQ seems to be geared toward a Raq2, not a Qube2, so I
was wondering if maybe the Qube was trying to boot netbsd.gz... If I
recall correctly I didn't create the vmlinux.gz file and it still
booted the correct kernel, implying that it's actually using
netbsd.gz. I guess this is more of a question for the guy that made
the restore CD than anyone else, but I'll play with it and see what
happens.

I have been RTFMing, but I'm just slow sometimes... If nothing else
these mistakes I'm making are becoming more searchable for less vocal
slow people :)

Thanks.

Andy