Subject: RE: Other qubes, raqs (actually, hard drive question)
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Daniel Ouellet <daniel@presscom.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/24/2004 13:52:42
Just a note about the drives for the Cobalt.

You can put really big drives in there and yes you can put two drives. =
The
problem always been the power supply. Yes in some cases it will work =
very
well, on a mid to ling term however you will burn your power supply and =
will
need to replace it if you are not careful on the power required by the
drives.  Capacity is not the only thing you should look for.

Go big if you need big, but pay attention to power if you want your =
lovely
Cobalt to last.

Plus an other advantage of using low power is when the fan blow up and =
it
will as they are not young appliances, then even if you do not replace =
it,
it will not blow up as not really much heath will be there to start =
with.

I have replace all my fans on all my Cobalt's and put a very nice and
efficient Seagate drive in each one.

I pick 40GB only because I didn't need more, but they have bigger as =
well.

Rock solid drives and the premium reason why I did was the power =
required to
make that drive works.

Look at the spec and compare to what you use and then you will be =
surprise
how well your happy your Cobalt will be!

The one I pick was this one:

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,574=
,00
.html

40GB, but power as this:

+5V =3D> 0.58A
+12V =3D> 0.31A

Compare that with the original drive in there and I can put two for a =
bit
less power that the original one took!

So, I know it will last for a very long time.

And yes, I run that on now over 25+ Cobalt RaQ 2+ and I love it!=20