Subject: Re: Other qubes, raqs (actually, hard drive question)
To: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
From: Pete Rushmere <pete@rushmere.org>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/24/2004 18:03:53
Chris,

         Samsung drives are both SP1604N 3.5" 160Gig. No reason why these
couldn't be bigger, providing the Promise card supports them. These two are
7200rpm drives.

         IBM 2.5" drive is IC25N010ATDA04-0 This is a 2.5" (laptop) drive -
chosen for physical size and allows some air movement around it.

         IDE card is Promise Ultra100/TX2 - buy on eBay. I have not tried
an Ultra133 card, but apparently they do work...

         Power supply is anything that will supply 3 - 5 amps at 12Vdc
constant.

         Be aware of the onboard 5 volt regulator, this has a maximum 3A
capacity. We measured the current consumption of the entire unit, which was
about 2.6A or so... Most of the Qube's hardware is on the 12v rail, the
2.5" drives have a 5v supply only ~1A

Kind Regards,
Pete.