Subject: Re: Other qubes, raqs (actually, hard drive question)
To: Carsten Pache <newsabo@gmx.info>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/24/2004 11:36:35
--------------enig2BEE800BF107420569FD78C9

Carsten,

 >> [Shon] mentions a specific disk that's very expensive for its size
>> and performance.
>
> Which drive? How much does it cost?

Specifically, it was the Samsung SV1204H, which, at the time (less than
a year) was about $120 for 120GB 5400rpm. (It's now down to $71 on
pricewatch, though you have to follow a false Ad for the SV1204H to a
site which sells the disk you actually want).

>>>Currently Samsung drives are assessed to be both quiet and cool.
>>
>>I guess this is why they demand a higher price for less
>>size/performance... because they are quieter, cooler, etc.
>
> Hmmm... I visited a hardware dealer just a few minutes ago. The prices for
> comparable drives (same size, same rpm) from different brands only differ by
> a few Euros (Euro is a currency in Europe, 1 EUR ~ 1.2 US$).

:p Not all of us Americans are that ignorant ;)

> Samsung's
> SV-series runs at 5400rpm, while their SP-series rotates at 7200rpm. I am
> not sure if the suffix "H" is a sign for a very expensive drive. A drive
> with a size of 160 GB costs around 90 - 110 EUR in Germany, regardless of
> the brand.

I'm not sure what the H means, either. I checked out the H vs N models
on Samsung's site and they don't mention what the difference is.

-chris