Subject: Re: Other qubes, raqs (actually, hard drive question)
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Carsten Pache <newsabo@gmx.info>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/24/2004 16:33:11
> > As much as I remember, any standard IDE-drive will do. See also
> > http://www.shon.org/qube/ as this guy installed two disks into his Qube
> II.
>
> Yeah, that web page was the one that got me to buy the Qube in the first
> place. He mentions a specific disk that's very expensive for its size
> and performance.

Which drive? How much does it cost?

> > Currently Samsung drives are assessed to be both quiet and cool.
>
> I guess this is why they demand a higher price for less
> size/performance... because they are quieter, cooler, etc.

Hmmm... I visited a hardware dealer just a few minutes ago. The prices for
comparable drives (same size, same rpm) from different brands only differ by
a few Euros (Euro is a currency in Europe, 1 EUR ~ 1.2 US$). Samsung's
SV-series runs at 5400rpm, while their SP-series rotates at 7200rpm. I am
not sure if the suffix "H" is a sign for a very expensive drive. A drive
with a size of 160 GB costs around 90 - 110 EUR in Germany, regardless of
the brand.

Carsten