Subject: Re: Other qubes, raqs (actually, hard drive question)
To: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/24/2004 07:05:28
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:57:40 -0400, Christopher Schultz
<christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net> wrote:

> All,
>
> > With a qube2 or raq2 you can safely pull the fan.  This is especially
> > true if you put in a newer, lower power, hard disk.
>
> I have a Qube2 and was wondering about hard disks. The thing currently
> in there is unbranded and largely unlabelled, so what should I look for
> when getting a new disk?
>
> I figure that lower-RPM drives like 5400 as opposed to the 7200 and
> 10000 will be quieter and consume less power.

The IDE controller probably can't go over the 130 something gig limit?
I'm guessing this is the case. It has a PCI slot and NetBSD supports a
bunch of newer IDE adapters though.

These newer hard drives are also quite hot. I'd leave the fan in there.

Andy