Subject: Re: Other qubes, raqs
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/23/2004 17:36:16
On Jun 23, 2004, at 4:47 PM, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> Sorry, I know this isn't cobalt specific, but I will ask here anyway.
> Please don't flame me...
>
> I'm looking for people who have installed NetBSD on the i386 based
> qubes or raqs. The qube 3 seems nice because it has a scsi port right
> on it which could be useful. I've seen some Linux stuff, but no NetBSD
> specific stuff. Does anyone know of any links? If there are any, this
> might be useful for the cobalt page to deflect emails like this...

Well, you will probably want the updated ROMs:
	<http://sf.net/projects/cobalt-rom/>
	<http://cobalt.iceblink.com/rom/>

They do have an option for booting netbsd, but I have not heard of
anyone trying to make that work.  See the bottom of:

<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/cobalt-rom/cobalt-rom/x86/
common/x86-boot.c?rev=1.3&view=auto>

I know we never spent any time on it other than following the
instructions from netbsd.org when the ROM was written (I worked for
Cobalt).  I'm sure patches to the project would be accepted by the
maintainers readily.

I believe someone on this list got netbsd booting on a raq3, but I
don't remember what they did.  You might search the archives.

> I keep looking for a qube 2, but these things are drying up and are
> getting dangerously close in price to the i386 based ones, which are
> supposed to be much faster anyway. All I'm trying to do is get a nice
> quiet compact box that doesn't make any noise. I'm tired of the noise!

With a qube2 or raq2 you can safely pull the fan.  This is especially
true if you put in a newer, lower power, hard disk.  With a qube3 you
must leave the fan in place or it will over heat.

Byron