Subject: Re: New to Qube and NetBSD --- A couple of questions...
To: Randy Just <randyjust@comcast.net>
From: Dale P. Smith <dsmith@actron.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/19/2004 11:17:34
Randy Just <randyjust@comcast.net> writes:

> 2) I would like to turn the Qube into a MP3 jukebox.  The problem I
> have been spending too much time on is trying to get a sound card to
> work.  I have one with the C-Media CMI8x38 chipset that is supported
> when I look at the NetBSD page.  Inserting this card into the Qube
> shows it is recognized by dmesg.  Looking at the GENERIC kernel
> options, "cmpci" isn't available as a sound card type.  However, there
> are six others there.  My assumption is if they are listed there, then
> they are supported by the Qube.  Some of the sound cards listed there
> can be obtained for under $20, so no big deal.
>  However, I have uncommented some of them (Cirrus Logic CS4280 and
> Ensoniq Audio PCI) to try and compile the kernel to see if there are
> problems.  The kernel won't compile when I uncomment one of the
> expected to be supported sound cards.
>
> Are any sound cards supported on the Qube with NetBSD?  And if so,
> which one works and what do I need to do to get it up and running in
> the world of NetBSD?

I wanted to do somethign similar.  I haven't touched my box in a while
(4 months or so) and my memory is a bit dim.  I *was* able to add a
soundcard and actually used it to play some mp3s and some streamed
audio.

It had a very very nasty problem of "stuttering".  Like each dma
buffer was being sent twice or something.  Very very annoying.

I can't remember the exact soundcard, but I'm pretty sure it was by
Creative.  Maybe an Ensoniq or something.  If I can remember, I'll
take a look when I get home.

It wasn't that hard to add the driver, but it wasn't obvious either.
That's because I'm still fairly new to netbsd.

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
dsmith at actron dot com