Subject: Re: PHP/Gallery performance.
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Werner Reuser <mxcreep@supermail.nl>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/14/2004 21:50:37
I still have to find some time to update my raq2 to netbsd 1.6.1, but I do
have the same experience on sun linux...
My raq2 is equipped with 256Mb Ram and a 40Gb Hdd...
About half a year ago I managed to compile a 2.0.x apache, a PHP 4.2.x and
Mysql 4.x on sun linux...
It took me days to fix all compile errors and finally I only succeeded
compiling php static into apache without socket support, gd support and some
more...

But bottomline, I also tried a piece of gallery software on the raq, 4images
(http://www.4homepages.de) and it's really incredibly slow :(
Same gallery runs on a dual PII400 (512Mb Ram) together with 40 other
virtual domains without any pain...
When I do a page request on the raq and viewing 'top' over ssh it seems that
PHP scripts are the bottleneck...
So I created some PHP test scripts and ran them, PHP is slow, but not that
slow...even mysql queries are running pretty fine...
The only thing I could find that is really really slow is the file
functions...and these functions are used a lot in scripts like gallery and
4images...

I'm not sure if this relates to your netbsd install, but I have a feeling it
will be the same problem as on my sun os install...
So good luck, but I think the raq2  cube will never be a kick ass php
machine :(

Grtzz,

Werner

Put a complicated