Subject: Re: Using restore CDs
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Andre Schulze <as8@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/14/2004 15:25:16
Am Wed den 14 Apr 2004 um 11:09:52AM +0100 schrieb Anthony Cooper:

> I have tried every possible jumper combination I can think of without
> success. Has anyone else had any luck with a Fujitsu drive? What makes

Yes. I had a FUJITSU MPG3409AT E working once which i replaced with a

wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <SAMSUNG SV1604N>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
wd0: 149 GB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 312581808 sectors
wd0: 32-bit data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5 (Ultra/100)

I can't recommend Fujitsu drives, the first one was replaced by the
manufacturer after it got lot's of media errors after 1.5 years beeing in
use. The second one started having the same symptoms after a year or so.

> of drives (and size) have people had sucess with? I notice a lot of
> Western Digital fans on the list. I was thinking of getting a WD
> Protege 40 Gb... as it spins a little slower than a Caviar and I can
> pick one up for GBP 40.

The Samsung drive has 160GB and is really quiet. I had no problems
so far but it is only a few months old now.

Bye,

	andre