Subject: PHP/Gallery performance.
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Fisher, Dave (IBM) <Dave.Fisher@astrazeneca.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/14/2004 11:34:50
I know I may be expecting miracles here but I'll ask anyway.

I've got my Qube2 running with 128Mb RAM and a 120Gb HDD, running NetBSD
1.61 (thanks Dennis!), Apache 2, PHP4, Samba3 and Gallery
(http://gallery.sf.net). I'm usually the only user though that may creep to
two or three eventually.

When I upload some pictures to my Gallery I have a few problems viewing them
again. Basically, it's really slow! It can take a matter of minutes for a
page with 9 sub-galleries on it to load.

Now, non-PHP pages take seconds and I can even stream mp3's from the Qube
without too much issue (using Andromeda: http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda)
but Gallery is a bit of a non-starter. I've tried more basic PHP based
picture galleries but they are either very feature limited or require
something like MySQL ...

Am I expecting too much from the little guy? After all I realise my PalmOne
TungstenT3 has a more powerful processor but the Qube2 was originally
supposed to be able to handle 100 or so users with filesharing / webbrowsing
/ mail / etc right?

If anyone has any hints, tips, pearls of wisdom I'm certainly all ears!

Dave F.