Subject: Viability of Qube/Raq 2 as production server
To: None <>
From: Andy R <>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 04/10/2004 21:20:34
Hello all. This may end up being a bit of a rambling
set of questions, I apologize in advance.

My main goal (someday) is to replace this noisy
)&$(^$% i386 server I have here, which happens to be
running FreeBSD, with something much quieter. For
performance per dollar, and with the lack of noise
factored in, I'm thinking that these Qube/Raq 2
machines are looking pretty good.

Jobs needed to do are:
o Gateway/router/firewall
o Postgres database server
o MySQL database server (don't ask unless you want a
o Web server
o Samba server with about a hundred gigs shared (I
know I know, not a good idea on a gateway...)
o Possibly some VPN if I ever get around to it
o Small amount of development

It used to run on a P233MMX with 128 megs, now it's on
a (in)famous Abit BP6 with dual Celeron 366s (all I
had available at the time for replacement).

First off, shall I go away and find something else? I
know there are a ton of other options for cheap quiet
machines, but these Cobalts seem to be a good start.

Looking on Ebay, the Qube 2 or Gateway Micros seem to
be really drying up. There are some Raq 2 and 2+
machines out there, but not a heck of a lot. I think
under $200 would be my goal (for the actual machine,
before upgrades if any are possible), but I seem to
rememer Raq 2's going for about $125 but I'm not
seeing them anymore.

The next question is, can I add hard drives to the Raq
machine? I'd like to have at least 2 drives because
part of my disk recovery plan includes backing up each
disk to each other, and then the entire box off to
tape (which takes a while to recover from, hence the
disk backups). Also, how many interfaces do these
things have? One job is firewall/router, among others.
It would be nice to be able to put in a scsi card for
the tape drive, but this is not 100% mandatory.

If anyone can take the time to read all of this
ramble, and sort of decipher what I'm trying to
accomplish, and make some recommendations, I'd really
appreciate it.

Do you Yahoo!?