Subject: Re: Compatible SCSI cards
To: NetBSD/cobalt <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/26/2004 20:57:35
* Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com> [2004-03-09 15:54:46]:
> * ken@bigbadapple.com <ken@bigbadapple.com> [2004-03-08 22:42:08]:
> > Does anyone know if a good 'ol standard 2940 will fit in the qube???  it's
> > shorter than the UW, but a bit longer than the 2904/06.
>
> I'd say it would be tight. I've just had a look in my Qube and there
> appears to be room for about 27/8mm of PCB after the connector:
>
>  -.
>   |-------------------.
>   |                   |
>   |                   |
>   |---.           ,---'
>   |    |______|__|  <- 27/8mm
>
> As a reference, a 2940U2W I have requires about 54mm inches of space.

I can reliably answer this now, yes, it will fit. I've just popped a
2940(U) into my Qube and it fits with about 2mm clear. You have to rely
on the case flexing a bit to get the SCSI connector into the rear
cutout, but apart from that it's a good fit.

Here it is detected:

ahc0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0
ahc0: interrupting at irq 9
ahc0: aic7880 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
scsibus0 at ahc0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target

However, with nothing plugged up to it, I now get the following message
continually on the console:

ahc0: Data Parity Error Detected during address or write data phase

It doesn't appear to affect the machine, but it makes it hard to use the
console :-)

My Qube is currently running 1.6.1 GENERIC. Is this a symptom of the PCI
slot or is this a known problem? I've seen reference to this problem on
other BSD's on different hardware, but no real fix apart from
termination. I've tried fitting an external terminator, no joy.

Any idea?

Matt
--
"Accept anything. Then explain it your way."