Subject: Re: Compatible SCSI cards
To: NetBSD/cobalt <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: ian <cobalt@minimal.cx>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/07/2004 19:40:42
On 7 Mar 2004, at 18:41, Matt Dainty wrote:

> Hi,

Hello,

> Just a quick one, are there any simple SCSI cards that are known to be
> electrically compatible with the Qube PCI slot?

I've not found the answer to this yet, either.

> I'm wanting to get something along the lines of an Adaptec 2904 (Fast
> SCSI, 50-pin internal/external) to hook a tape drive up externally.

This is exactly what I want(ed) to do !

> Anyone running a SCSI card in their Qube?

I tried an NCR card (not got the exact number to hand) and a Sony DDS2
tape drive.  Both the card and drive worked 100% on a W2K system via
both Windows backup and Cygwin/tar, so I built a kernel (1.6) and put
the card in.  It was detected, and probed the SCSI bus without a
problem.  I could rewind and eject tapes, and do small tar jobs, but as
soon as I tried a proper backup, the tar job would stall and be totally
unkill -9 able: not matter what I tried the stuck tar job was there
until a reboot.

I don't know which part of the SCSI system or NCR driver was wedged but
I couldn't eject tapes or rewind them once the tar job got stuck: I had
to power cycle the drive to get the tape out.  I never found an
alternative card so it could just be mine that wasn't 100% on the Qube,
but then I've never got to the bottom of the random crashes and poor
drive/network throughput that NetBSD shows on my system that the old
Linux 2.0 load didn't, so it might all yet be related.

I've not tried anything more recent than a stock 1.6, but just a
warning really: when you've dumped a full tape of data then you can be
happy that it's working, just don't get too excited when the bus gets
probed !

HTH,
--
ian.
GPG Fingerprint: D170 35A3 C858 6E85 9B5B  1557 4CD5 6F6F E176 2D0A