Subject: AW: Setting the hardware clock in a qube2
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Prasnikar <robert.prasnikar@utanet.at>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/21/2004 22:36:33
Hi all,

I´m a little lost right now, I was not able to permanently set the Qube2s
clock via date, since date did do fine as long as I didn't power down the
Qube (rebooting doesn´t do any harm), but after a power down and restart I
was once again back in the 1930s ...
First idea was system battery empty, but it is still fine (I also tried a
fresh one) so I remembered the I was able to do somthing like "ntpdate
ntp1.ptb.de | hwclock -s" to write to the CMOS on my Intel box during system
boot. (should use the same adjust()/adjtime() systemcalls as ntpdate -b
does)
But this isn´t provided for NetBSD/cobalt so I did put in the old spare
harddisk with the original QubeOS, did a hwclock --set -date "02/21/200
21:50:00" and  it did writ directly to the system... After a power-down it
was still alright, so I did put in the NetBSD HDD, and it did come up
correctly once again. Also setting the system clock via the date command
does work once again.

I have absolutly no idea why this did happen. Anyone els who is able to
enlighten my by giving a hint how this could happen? Do I assume right
adjust() and /or adjtime() are the same calls behind QubeOS hwclock (and of
course hwclock NetBSD/i386) and ntpdate -b ? But if so they should more or
less work both, shouldn´t they?

So you see a lot of questions ;-)

thx

Robert