Subject: Re: Utility of X on a Qube
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/11/2004 23:05:44
On Friday, February 6, 2004, at 10:50 AM, Andreas Yankopolus wrote:

> X on a Qube (or any other headless / remote machine) is tremendously
> useful when combined with a VNC server. Imagine a graphical,
> interactive version of nohup. Once you start a virtual desktop, you > can

OK, I'm stuck again :)

The thing I was missing to get the /current/xsrc to compile was that it
needs   -make build   not -make install.
I now have the usr/X11R6 directory with a bunch of stuff in it :)

So, reading the docs from <http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/NetBSD6.html#10>
I'm not sure how much still applies.  It's for NEtBSD 1.4 and earlier,
and I'm not sure what release of X for BSD.

- it says I need to add 2 options to my kernel .conf and rebuild the
kernel; is that still true?

-there's a lot of talk about how to config my X for my monitor, but
none of that applies (right?) for setting up on a headless server.
their first command says to do a startx, but that's not right, I don't
even have a server to connect to, yet, and there's no point that I can
see to running xstart on the Qube itself...

-the manual also says to run xdm while disabling getty for the box; I
don't see a reason to kill getty; (?) I don't wish to only use X to
connect... and running xdm --nodaemon seem to do nothing whatsoever (no
error, no new processes, no ports opening up, etc).

Can someone provide a current manual and/or a workflow of what needs
done?  I feel as if the documentation is spread out like a hot
breakfast, and may not apply even if I piece it all together.  I've not
even found a description of how and what to run to start the service,
that works.  And all the linux books I have, spend all their time on
configuring startx to match your VGA chipset (which doesn't seem useful
on a Qube) and not related to getting the server going.

I'm HAPPY to RTFM but I've not found a useful fine manual yet.
Pointers welcome.

Thanks,

Brian