Subject: RE: Cobalt RaQ2's network activity
To: None <netbsd@bidonville.net, port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gibiault <gibiault@hotmail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/11/2004 05:28:27
Hello,

As you have observed this doesnt sound like a cobalt or nbsd question.
However the behavior you described is the expected behavior.IF you are
indeed using a hub as you described. A hub has a one (1) collision domain. a
SWITCH on the other hand is one domain per port. What this means is that a
hub is a very "dumb" device. it is nothing more then a mulitport eletrical
repeter. a switch however will look at each packet and decode the ehernet
address and only transmit that packet on the ports that match that address.
This does NOT happen with a hub. So that whenever anything transmits on that
network each and every device connected sees that packet , and will flash
its light. The hub however will only flash its light when it sees something
else transmit.

The lights on the raq will flash whenever there is activity on the wire ( I
am not sure if its only recive or if its for both transmit and recive). The
lights on the HUB will flash whenever it dectes activity on its recieve
pair. So whenever anything on that hub transmits you will see that activity
at each port on the hub.

Now if you are using a switch there coudl be other reasons for this (
brodcats packets and such ) Feel free to ask if this doesnt help

-Chris

>From: "vizi0n" <netbsd@bidonville.net>
>To: <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
>Subject: Cobalt RaQ2's network activity
>Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:04:37 -0500
>
>Heya everyone!
>
>I just noticed something unusual on my Cobalt RaQ2's that's not really OS
>specific (I guess). Let me explain: I have 2 RaQ2's one on top of the other
>and whenever one of the 2 has network activity, the activity leds on the
>front of BOTH Cobalt's blink (at the same time) but on my hub they blink
>normally (only the one that has network activity). Has anyone ever seen
>that
>before?
>
>viz

Keep up with high-tech trends here at "Hook'd on Technology."
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/hookedontech.armx