Subject: Re: Utility of X on a Qube
To: NetBSD/cobalt <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schultz@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/06/2004 11:14:01
Andreas,

> X on a Qube (or any other headless / remote machine) is tremendously
> useful when combined with a VNC server.

Oh, certainly a remote X session via VNC is useful. ((I've been using
VNC for years. I actually prefer TightVNC because it includes
compression itself, rather than having to tunnel it through SSH or
something to get compression).

I'm just questioning the decision to run X on a machine that's less
powerful than most modern PDAs. Mine has a 250MHzs MIPS (certainly
nothing to sneeze at, but still not that much of a workhorse) and came
with 16MB of RAM. Of course, I upgraded to 144MB as soon as I could find
some more, but still... these guys are more suited to running Samba,
mail, DNS and DHCP services.

> That desktop, however, is easily sent
> anywhere across a network.

Connections may also be shared. I have even done short interactive demos
with clients via VNC sessions. Very sexy.

-chris