Subject: Utility of X on a Qube
To: NetBSD/cobalt <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Andreas Yankopolus <andreas@yank.to>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/06/2004 10:50:35
> I've heard of others running X on these little guys. Does anyone have
> a good reason other than to be able to say "hey! that little thing
> over there is running X, baby!". Just seems like a waste of what
> little processing power these things have.

X on a Qube (or any other headless / remote machine) is tremendously
useful when combined with a VNC server. Imagine a graphical,
interactive version of nohup. Once you start a virtual desktop, you can
disconnect from the machine and your jobs will continue to run. You can
later reconnect and bring up your virtual desktop just as you left it.
I never send actual X applications to a remote machine; they always
display to the local virtual desktop. That desktop, however, is easily
sent anywhere across a network. VNC runs over a single port, so it's
easy to tunnel the connections over SSH using port forwarding. It's the
networking version of crack.

http://www.realvnc.com/

Cheers,

Andreas