Subject: Re: Help w/ Installing NetBSD on a Qube 2700 w/o netboot
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brandon Shiers <brandons@wyoming.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/19/2004 22:07:33
Hi Chuey --

If the lights on the NIC are not even turning on, I'm guessing that
the bootstrap processs isn't getting very far at all. The NIC is one
of the really big problems the rest of us are having with our boxes.
The EEPROM for the onboard NIC on these Qube 2700 WG boxes requires
some funky PCI fixup code in order to work (correct me if I'm wrong
folks, but that's my understanding of it). That's how the Cobalt OS
uses the NIC just fine -- by applying this fixup code which allows the
NIC to properly function. Dennis C and I have tried a few different
kernels with the PCI fixup code applied and we still didn't have any
luck with this box. That's why Lucien and a few other folks are hoping
that somebody that has NetBSD loaded on a Qube 2700 would throw up a
ghosted image of the hard drive, so we can load it on our boxes
(mainly becasue the Cobalt OS on these boxes suck and the packages are
so out of date that it's not even funny). I believe that only one user
on the list has managed to successfully get NetBSD working on a Qube
2700 WG box, but I have not had any success contacting that user.
-Brandon-