Subject: Help w/ Installing NetBSD on a Qube 2700 w/o netboot
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: chuey <looking@sexykula.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/19/2004 17:11:00
Hi folks,

I am having trouble installing NetBSD 1.6.1 on a Qube 2700 w/o netboot.  Perhaps someone else might have been successful and could provide some pointers.

I mounted a hd on an i386 machine and manually installed NetBSD for cobalt that way.

Using fdisk I created a small linux partition (sysid 131) and a large NetBSD partition.  From there I created other partitions using disklabel.

I created the linux filesystem using `mke2fs -r 0 -O none /dev/wd0e`
and created the NetBSD filesystems w/ newfs.  I mounted the the partitions and extracted the .tgz sets and populated the /dev directory by running the MAKEDEV script.  Lastly, I mounted the linux partition at altroot and created a boot directory and copied and gzipped the kernel there.

Edited /etc/fstab/ /etc/ifconfig.tlp0 /etc.inetd and /etc/rc.conf to match my network.

When I try to start up the the Qube w/ the the HD, it goes to "Starting Up" in the lcd screen and it would flash and display "Starting Up" again, and repeats itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chuey