Subject: missing a hostname config somewhere?
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/18/2004 08:08:10
Despite having an entry in /etc/hosts

# Host Database
# This file should contain the addresses and aliases
# for local hosts that share this file.
# It is used only for "ifconfig" and other operations
# before the nameserver is started.
#
#
::1                     localhost
127.0.0.1               localhost
192.168.0.5             Qube    bmcewen.org
#

and and entry in /etc/rc.conf

#
hostname="Qube"
defaultroute=192.168.0.1

at boot the Qube still IDs itself (on the LCD panel) as DHCPPC4
and although I'm able to use sendmail apparantly fine, proftpd fails
with

dhcppc4:~#proftpd
  - getaddrinfo 'dhcppc4' error: No address associated with hostname
  - error: unable to determine IP address of 'dhcppc4'
  - error: no valid servers configured
  - Fatal: error processing configuration file
'/usr/pkg/etc/proftpd.conf'
dhcppc4:~#

I looked at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/#configuration_files>

and the only thing I was missing was the ifconfig;  but ifconfig
doesn't havea  place to specifiy a different ID at bootup, just IP (I
think).  But I set up an ifconfig entry anyway.

Do I have to switch to static IP throughout, or should I be using my
WAN IP instead?  When I recompiled the kernel I didn't see anyplace to
hardcode any of this information.  SHould I change some of the above
entries to that of my external IP, comcast's hostname for me, or my
custom hostname?

I'm overlooking something...

Thanks,

Brian