Subject: Re: Booting alternate kernel from keypad
To: NetBSD/cobalt <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Dennis Chernoivanov <cdi@mawhrin.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/11/2004 15:34:08
Hi,

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:22:36PM -0500, Andreas Yankopolus wrote:
> Is there a way to boot an alternate kernel (i.e., something other than
> /netbsd) via the Qube 2's keypad when using Dennis' bootloader? If not,
> is doing so possible if I purchased a null modem cable?

 A few lines in addition to what Christopher wrote. If you meant the Qube's
front-panel buttons than the answer is 'no' as the boot loader supports
neither the LCD nor the keypad as of yet although I agree that it could be a
nice feature. OTOH, if you hold all four cursor buttons at the boot time, the
Firmware will try to load /usr/games/.doug kernel (I assume this path should
also be located on the ext2 partition -- never tried it myself).

 Once you have access to the serial console, you may want to use 'nbsd='
boot loader parameter at the Firmware prompt.

SY,
--cdi