Subject: Re: 'best practice' for installing Zope (on cobalt qube2)
To: Jamie Heilman <jamie@audible.transient.net>
From: Nicholas Jackson <nicholasj@ncafe.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/07/2004 19:23:24
Jamie,

On Wednesday, January 7, 2004, at 01:24  PM, Jamie Heilman wrote:

> Nicholas Jackson wrote:
>> I'm trying to follow Tino Wildenheim's instructions to install Zope on
>> NetBSD (http://www.zope.org/Members/tino/ZopeNetBSD)
>
> Those instructions are ancient, python 1.5.2 hasn't been recommended
> for Zope for ... I dunno, a long time.  That said, I think running
> Zope on a qube is a fool's game, but if you really want to try you're
> probably best off installing python22-pth and Zope 2.6.2.  Expect
> wretched performance.

Yes, I know that performance won't be great, but I was really mostly
talking about the installation process. I just want to know if it
*works* with the pkgsrc python21-pth on the MIPS Cobalt hardware,
basically. (since I was getting an error message trying to use the
'pthreads and source tarball' approach on my Cobalt.)

I've run Zope on slow machines before and performance can be
semi-acceptable if the server load is low (as in this case it would
be..very low)

I don't think Zope 2.6.2 would work with python 2.2x or I would try
that..

The use of the machine is mostly just for myself, to run a small
web-enabled PIM on..

Thank you,
Nick