Subject: Fwd: Re: Installation from Restore CD ... again
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Yves Maurischat <branitar@gmx.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/31/2003 20:15:27

Subject: Re: Installation from Restore CD ... again
Date: Wednesday 31 December 2003 19:28
From: Yves Maurischat <branitar@gmx.de>
To: Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>

Its a Qube 2. I removed the harddisk and put in a Samsung SV 1604N (160GB).

Hm, I could try it with the serial cable, if I find one. I assume, I should
connect it to the computer that runs the system from the Restore CD?   Where
exactly will the message be displayed? Do I have to login as root?  Sorry I'm
only used to Linux with X running *g*

And yes, I think the the installation finished (unless it lasts more than an
hour ;) ). The "starting up" screen was the last, that was displayed, so I
think, it tried to perform the reboot, that should be the end of the
installation process (or at least the end of the automatic part of the
installation).
But I could try another installation and leave it for some more hours :)

Bye,
Yves

> Happy New Year,
>
> What model Qube?  If it has a serial port, could you connect to it and
> watch the console messages?  A standard db9 null modem cable should do
> the trick.
>
> My qube's primary port green LED doesn't light up either, but the port
> works just fine; the green light is the link light and the yellow light
> indicates activity. I have also noticed that the LCD will display
> "Starting up" while the machine performs fsck, which can take a long
> time.
>
> Speaking of long times, are you sure the installation finished before
> you shut the qube off?  I don't remember exactly what I did, but the
> first time I used the restore cd I thought the installation was done
> long before it actually was and turned the qube off.  Naturally, it
> didn't restart.
>
> HTH,
>
> Byron

 Yves Maurischat
 Dipl.-Inform. (FH)

 A.-Messel-Weg 10 A /26	 Tel.: +49 172 3901017
 64287 Darmstadt         Mail: torg@branitar.de

 "In theory, there is no difference between theory
  and practice. In practice, there is."
    -Yogi Berra-