Subject: Re: Installation from Restore CD ... again
To: Yves Maurischat <branitar@gmx.de>
From: Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/31/2003 10:07:27
On Dec 31, 2003, at 9:54 AM, Yves Maurischat wrote:

> after reading about Shons gigaQube, I decided to get a Qube myself as
> a file
> server.
>
> I used the Restore CD to install NetBSD on the Qube, but when it gets
> to the
> reboot, the Qube just hangs. "Starting up" is displayed on the LCD,  I
> am
> waiting for about 20 minutes, but nothing else happens.
> Additionally I noticed, that the primary network port doesn't seem to
> work
> anymore (the green LED doesn't flash). The secondary port works fine,
> at
> least the LED is flashe, when I plug in a cable.
>
> What did I do wrong? I've read the the mails of the mailing list of
> the last
> year, but it seems like no one else had this special problem...

Happy New Year,

What model Qube?  If it has a serial port, could you connect to it and
watch the console messages?  A standard db9 null modem cable should do
the trick.

My qube's primary port green LED doesn't light up either, but the port
works just fine; the green light is the link light and the yellow light
indicates activity. I have also noticed that the LCD will display
"Starting up" while the machine performs fsck, which can take a long
time.

Speaking of long times, are you sure the installation finished before
you shut the qube off?  I don't remember exactly what I did, but the
first time I used the restore cd I thought the installation was done
long before it actually was and turned the qube off.  Naturally, it
didn't restart.

HTH,

Byron