Subject: Re: Another Newbie trying to install on a Qube2700
To: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
From: Henning Schmiedehausen <hps@intermeta.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/23/2003 15:48:47
Hi,

I actually have one of my 2700 Qubes with a two port serial board
(PCI-ISA bridge + 2 16550 chips) which run fine under Linux. However,
the Install CD does not have a console driver for this and the boot
monitor does neither.

(No, it's not simply "stick the PCI board in". The Qube is missing the
crucial -12V power supply (as it has only a single +12V power line with
a regulator for +5V). I did this, the board worked but nothing came out
of the ports. I built a voltage inverter from some scrap parts and it is
piggybacked onto the PCI board to provide -12V for the board. Looks
Frankensteinish but works fine. :-)

	Regards
		Henning

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 08:30, Toru Nishimura wrote:
> Henning Schmiedehausen hps@intermeta.de asked;
>
> > There was some talk on this list about a fix in the PCI code / interrupt
> > routing in -current but as I have no other NetBSD box handy I'm not able
> > to cross-compile a new kernel myself.
> >
> > So: Is there any hope for me or must I wait until the next BSD release
> > and that some kind soul will again provide install disks for the Qube?
>
> Yes, you can expect NetBSD for Q2700.   I'm another 2700 owner who
> managed to get it for free years ago.   After unreasonable burdens of
> console-less computer, I abandoned and left the bran' new computer in
> the shipment container.
>
> A few weeks ago I went to local com shop and found to acquire a serial
> PCI card.  It has NetMos (now NetChip) 9865 chip inside, and I'm pretty
> hopeful to make it right /dev/console.  PLS look at dev/pci/puccn.c for
> reference.
>
> Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology

"Außerdem können in Deutschland alle Englisch. [...] so entfällt die
Notwendigkeit [...] Deutsch zu lernen."
            -- Johan Micoud auf die Frage warum er kein Deutsch spricht.
                   (http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/0,1518,273205,00.html)